Monday, September 12, 2011

Heart Rate Monitor Myth

This morning when I was catching up on the daily health news, I was very excited when I came across this topic I touch on regularly.  I always discuss heart rate monitors with my clients... and how I think they're crap.  I was very glad to see CNN's Madison Park and Competitor.com's Matt Fitzgerald are as smart as I am.
    

Last week, I had a friend join a local gym.  With the membership, you get a free "fit test," so she took it.  After, they told her she should take a cardio test (which is not free) so she could see what her fat burning zone is.  If she takes the test and learns what her zone is, then (of course) she'll have to buy a heart rate monitor.  How convenient that the gym sells those too!  Anyways, I told her not to take the test because there's a much easier (and cheaper) way to tell what "zone" you're working in - The Talk Test.  

The Talk Test is very simple.  I believe the first time I was introduced to it was when I was a 14 or 15 during sports conditioning.  Zone 1 is the easiest and zone 5 is the hardest.  Here's the gist:

1 - Can easily hold a conversation while exercising.

2 -  Still easy to maintain a conversation, breathing is getting heavier. (fat burning zone)

3 - Conversation is getting harder.  Only a sentence here and there, and breathing is getting more intense.

4 - Conversation is difficult.  Only one word can be spoken at a time, need to focus more on breathing.

5 - Cannot talk.

This method works.  Even better, it works for EVERYONE!  Heart rate monitors  and/or treadmills that have you putting in information about your weight, age, etc. can only be so accurate.  There are so many factors that play into it.  For example, If you're 50 years old and have been extremely active your whole life, chances are you're going to have to push yourself harder to burn fat or build cardiovascular endurance than someone who is just starting out (Duh).

The perceived exertion is a more reliable source of exercise intensity.  In layman's terms, we're not stupid, we don't need a watch to tell us when we're pushing too hard or not hard enough.  So skip the fancy equipment.       

Here's another "zone" tip: The fat burning zone is at low intensity, so people think if they always do that they'll lose weight.  Well, a lower intensity will help you burn a greater percentage of fat, but if you work out at a higher intensity you'll burn way more total calories and fat calories!  So make sure you're incorporating high intensity as well.  May I suggest interval training?  Or maybe a Bootcamp?  Specifically mine that is held in Centreville on Saturdays at 9 am! ;)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment